If you’re like most people, you spend a lot of money on household items like laundry detergent and cleaning solutions. In these economic hard times, DIY products are becoming the latest trend. People are saying “no” to expensive store-bought items and “yes” to easy homemade products.
Here are a few DIY recipes for everyday household products.
– 1 tablespoon olive oil (makes your furniture shiny)
– ½ teaspoon lemon essential oil or lemon juice (leaves your house smelling great)
– ¼ cup distilled white vinegar (disinfects)
– 1 ¾ cup water (dilutes)
– Spray bottle (16 oz. or larger)
Combine ingredients into a spray bottle and you’re ready to dust! Make sure to give it a good shake before each use to reincorporate all of the ingredients.
Store Price: $4.00
Homemade Price: $.08
– 1 box Borax (4 lbs 12 oz.)
– 1 box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lbs)
– 1 box Arm & Hammer Super washing Soda (3 lbs 7 oz.)
– 3 bars Fels-Naptha soap (or 2 bars of Zote), grated (like cheese)
Toss all of the ingredients in a 5-gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag. The recipe makes two gallons of detergent, so you’ll need two large containers to split it up into. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.
Store Price: $59.88 a year
Home Price: $20 a year
– 2 tablespoons vinegar
– 1 teaspoon Borax
– A few drops of mild dish detergent
– 10 drops of essential oil (optional)
– 16 oz. spray bottle
– Hot water to fill the spray bottle
In a 16 oz. spray bottle, combine vinegar, Borax, and hot water. Swish around until the Borax has completely dissolved. Add dish detergent and essential oil (lavender or orange are standard scents to use).
Store Price: $3.19
Homemade Price: $0.18
Make sure to label all of your homemade products so that you can repeat the recipe when your solutions run out. Happy savings!
— By Ashley Pfeffer
Ashley is a Navy wife and a mom who enjoys crafting, blogging, taking pictures, and spending time with family and friends.