Fall is upon us and the cold weather is a welcomed escape from the summer heat. Families are now spending more time outside before the winter comes to ruin outdoor plans. There are plenty of family activities to do this fall that will please any member of the family. Here are a couple things you can check off your fall bucket list:
- Apple Picking – It’s apple-picking season at the orchards now. Take the whole family to your local apple orchard and spend the day exploring outdoors and picking apples for your family to enjoy later. You can even plan on making a homemade apple pie or apple crisps together.
- Corn Maze – What would fall be without corn mazes? Get lost with your family in a corn maze. Make it a challenge to see who can get through the maze the fastest. Split your family up into teams or go at it solo depending on everyone’s age and ability. If your kids are a little bit older, try a haunted corn maze for frightening fun.
- Acorn Collecting – It’s perfect weather to be outside without being too hot or too cold. You can explore the outdoors with your family and hunt for acorns. You can use them for various craft activities like creating fall decorations for the home.
- Hay Rides – Hay rides and corn mazes are the quintessential fall activity. Don’t leave these out of your October plans.
- Pumpkin Patches – There are plenty of pumpkin patches already popping up around town. Take your family to one and enjoy the activities and leave for home with a pumpkin for everyone in the family. You can carve them as a family and make jack-o-lanterns or bake homemade pumpkin pie or bread. You can also use roast the seeds and make a yummy treat.
- Haunted House – October brings Halloween and haunted houses. Take your family on a trip to visit a haunted house. You can also track down various other haunted experiences like mazes, hotels, hayrides and more.
- Family Hike – Enjoy the outdoors by going on a nature hike. Explore the trails and climb local mountains. You can also collect leaves and twigs to create a wreath for your front door. If you dip them in wax they will last longer.
- Decorate for Halloween – Make it a family affair to decorate for Halloween. Pull out the box of decorations and stop by the store to add a few more pieces this year. You can decorate together or split the house up and have each family member decorate their space. Vote on the best decorating job.
- Knit Scarves – It’s time to take things back to Home-Ec. class and teach your kids how to knit. Start the project together this month so that everyone will have their own hand-knitted scarves for winter.
- Try New Fall Recipes – Have each member of the family create/find a new fall recipe to try. Collaborate on the menu together and pick a few days during the month to make dinner for the family with their new recipe.
– By Samantha Rivers, Editor @sassySammyBee