The weather is finally getting warmer and a weekend refresher may be just what the doctor ordered. Coordinating your vacation doesn’t need to be a ton of prep work. Here are some tips and tricks you’ll need when planning a simple weekend getaway:
- Be Flexible About the Destination. It is best to keep an open mind when you’re planning your weekend retreat. Go wherever the wind takes you. Or in some cases, wherever has the best deals.
- Minimize Travel Time. It’s probably a good idea to stay somewhere close to home. You don’t want to spend most of your weekend traveling to the destination.
- Deal Shop. Your mini vacation will be a lot more relaxing if you knew you got the best deal. Shop around in your spare time, but not all of your time. Keep it simple.
- Bring a Travel Companion. Your weekend getaway can be the perfect opportunity to catch up with your partner or friends. Making time for them during the week may be hard, so bringing them along for some bonding time is a great idea.
- Keep a Flexible Itinerary. Sometimes it’s more fun to enjoy the down time especially if you only have a couple days to relax. When your agenda is flexible, you don’t have to be rushing to squeeze everything in and stay on schedule.
- Make the Time. The hardest part about planning a mini vacation is making the time. You will always find an excuse not to do it. Mark it in your calendar and make it happen.
- Road Trip. A good old-fashioned road trip is always a great time. Pick a destination and hit the road.
- Rent a Home. It has all the comforts of home without being your home. You can rent that beautiful lake house for the weekend and escape your reality to someone else’s.
- Go Camping. Leave your busy city life behind and spend a few nights with Mother Nature. Spending a few quiet nights under the starry sky will be the perfect remedy to your stressful week.
- Hit the Beach. This is a no-brainer for most. Where there is sand, sun and water there is a guaranteed good time. You can even take it one step further and set up camp there.
- Play Tourist. I am sure there are still some new restaurants to eat at, museums to tour and parks to walk. Explore your city.
Here is a list of sites that will help you plan your getaway:
- Bedandbreakfast.com – worldwide B&B directory
- IloveInns.com – find Inns and B&Bs
- planapple.com – create, organize, access and share your vacation plans
- kayak.com – search flights, hotels and rental cars
- Airbnb.com – vacation rentals, homes, apartments & rooms for rent
- ReserveAmerica.com – reserve campground, lodging, marina, and day-use locations
- homeaway.com – search home rentals
- groupon.com – search daily deals and coupons
- fodors.com/weekend-getaways – Fodor’s recommends the best weekend getaway ideas that are 3 hours or less from your city
- triphobo.com – a site to help you plan
Where will you go on your getaway?
– By Samantha Rivers, Editor @sassySammyBee